Marjie Carroll – Principal (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- University of Minnesota- Organizational Leadership, Policy and Development – K-12 Principal Licensure
- University of Saint Catherine – M.A. Education
- Macalaster College- B.A. Political Science & History
- State of Minnesota Professional Licenses – Elementary Education, Principal K-12
Ms. Carroll has served as an educator, instructional leader, and school administrator since 1998. She has worked as an assistant principal, summer school program leader, extended day program leader, math instructional coach, and administrative intern in elementary, middle school, and high school settings. Ms. Carroll also holds a Montessori Education Certificate.
Ms. Carroll has considerable experience traveling and living outside of the United States. She was born in Yokosuka, Japan, to American parents where she attended Yokohama International School (YIS) and the International School of the Sacred Heart(ISSH) during her primary years. She graduated high school from The American School in Japan (ASIJ) in Tokyo. She moved to the United States for college, earning a B.A. in Political Science and History from Macalaster College, and an M.A. in Edcuation from St.Catherine University in St.Paul Minnesota. In 2010, she received an Administrator Diploma from the University of Minnesota.
Charles Campbell – Vice Principal ( email@example.com )
- University of Port Elizabeth – BA in Education, Higher Diploma of Education (English Teaching and Counselling)
- Council of International Schools (COIS) – Visiting Team Member
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme Moderator and Examiner
Mr. Campbell has worked as a part of senior management teams for more than 11 years and has been an educator, examiner and middle manager since 1999. Before joining GIFS he held the post of Acting Principal in India as well as Head of Middle School / IGCSE Coordinator. A South African of British descent, Mr. Campbell began his teaching career in Johannesburg, but soon decided to enter the realm of international teaching. He has taught in Korea, Malaysia, Japan, China, Thailand and India. Mr. Campbell studied at Victoria Park High School in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. He did both his Bachelors Degree and Higher Diploma of Education at the University of Port Elizabeth – now called Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU). He is currently finishing an MA in Educational Leadership through The University of Roehampton, London. Mr. Campbell is married to his Thai wife, Lauren, and has a daughter, Meilin, who loves her class. Every opportunity he gets Mr. Campbell travels back to Thailand (which he now calls home) to enjoy the warm weather and beaches. He considers himself a bit of a home cook and TV series aficionado.
Joy Kim – Office Manager ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Gyeongsang National University – M.D. in English Linguistics
- Dong – A University -B.A. in French Literature
- MEGT Institute in Australia – Diploma of Child Care
- Sookmyong Women’s University – TESOL Certificate
- Jungang Distance Education Center – Child Care Education Certificate
Ms. Joy Kim has worked as a Prekindergarten teacher, a Korean teacher, and a librarian at GIFS. She also has experience in programming English camp for Kindergarten and teaching English to children.
She grew up in Jinju and moved to Busan for university. She worked at OOCL Korea, the trade company headquartered in Hong Kong after she graduated college. She enjoyed working at the trade company but wasn’t satisfied. Eventually, she realized she wanted a career that would be more satisfying. She moved to Australia for studying and got the diploma of child care. Teaching was her next choice and she spent almost 10 years in a variety of education areas.
She loves teaching and being around children.
Claire Anderson – Head of Marketing and Admissions ( email@example.com )
- CELTA Certification – PASS A
- Northeastern Illinois University – M.A. in Linguistics (Pending)
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign – B.A. in English
Claire is the Head of Marketing and Admissions at GIFS, and is prepared to have the whole world singing the school’s praises soon enough! She hails from her hometown of Evanston, Illinois, not far from Chicago. She has done a variety of work: teaching adult ESL both in Korea and in the States; working as a curriculum developer and textbook editor; and designing web experiences to help customers find what they need with ease. She will talk your ear off if you want to know more about sociolinguistics, or if you are interested in her dog, Maegi. On free days, you can find her seeking out something new to eat, hiking with her husband and pup, or reading the next book for Book Club. Come by and say hi! She would love to get to know you!
Heidi Ha – Office Assistant ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Dong-Eui University, B.A. International Tourism Management, Korea
- Exchange student at Angelo State University, TEXAS
Ms. Heidi has participated in a variety of activities such as musical performance, overseas travel, and volunteer work teaching children from low-income families while in her college. She had an opportunity to study overseas as an exchange student in Texas and traveled in U.S.A, Spain, and Portugal, so she has had many chances to communicate with people from around the world.
Heather Kim – Office Assisstant ( email@example.com )
- Gyeongsang National University, B.A. in Accounting
- Crown Institute of Studies in Auckland, New Zealand– General English
Ms. Heather Kim has started her career at Gyeongnam International Foreign School after graduating from Gyeongsang National University. She has studied and worked in Auckland, New Zealand and she has traveled to several countries so that she could meet many people of various nationalities. It helped her learn about many other cultures and how to get along with anyone. She is enjoying her work in the office at GIFS with so many international families and teachers.
Eunice Kim – Assistant Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Yeungnam University, B.A. in Chinese Language/Literature and English Language/Literature
- ERCi in Singapore, Studied Business Marketing
Ms. Eunice Kim grew up in Changwon, about 1 hour away from Sacheon. She traveled to over 20 countries as a young adult, which sparked her passion for multicultural atmospheres. She studied in Singapore to learn more about international experiences. During her time in university, she starred in a play totally in Mandarin! She doesn’t act anymore, but she still loves culture. She worked as an intern for GE Marine in the Sales Department, which helped her hone her English skills. She is enjoying her life at GIFS, and hopes to see you in the front office!
Susan Snell – Pre K/ Kindergarten Teacher (email@example.com)
- Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies with a specialization in Early Childhood Education at The University of Texas at El Paso
- Master of Arts in Early Childhood Education with a specialization in Curriculum and Instruction at Arizona State University
Miss Snell’s affinity for teaching young children was apparent at a relatively young age. She began planning curriculum and teaching young children at her local church in her hometown by the age of fifteen. By the time she graduated high school, she knew that teaching would be her lifetime profession. Throughout her teaching career she has had multiple opportunities to teach and lead on a variety of levels including early childhood choir teacher, math curriculum coach, ESL teacher, and volleyball coach. Miss Snell joins the GIFS teaching team with a desire to teach, contribute, and excel on the international stage. It is her hope that her life story shows that she is a life-long learner who is eager to help your child uncover the wonders of learning!
Julie Gragowski – Grade 1 Teacher (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Texas Tech University – Bachelor of Science in Multidisciplinary Studies
I was born and raised in Texas and attended Texas Tech University where I majored in Elementary education. After graduation, I taught 1st grade in Lubbock, Texas for 1 year before moving to Newport News, Virginia, where I worked in a head start program for just over two years. From there I moved to the high desert in California where I worked for Muroc Joint Unified School District for 12 years. I was blessed to teach transitional kindergarten, kindergarten and first grade during this time. My family was given a wonderful opportunity to relocate to Sacheon in April of 2016. I am thrilled to have the opportunity to teach first grade at GIFS this school year. First graders have a fantastic enthusiasm for learning and adventure that I love. We will work hard and have fun this year while building a strong reading foundation for your child.
Andrew Dean – Grade 2 Teacher (email@example.com)
- University of Central Missouri – Bachelor of Science in Education
- University of Central Missouri – Master of Science in Education – Elementary School Administration K-8
Mr. Dean began working with children at an institution for abused boys that had been removed permanently from their families. Following this emotionally challenging experience, he acquired an elementary teaching degree and started his career in 1999. He has filled numerous roles in leadership throughout his time in education and holds an administration degree. Yet he finds connecting with children and parents to be the most rewarding. He lived and taught elsewhere in Korea for several years before joining our elementary team.
Caroline Pattinson – Grade 3 Teacher (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- St. Martin’s University College, United Kingdom – BA in Primary Education with Qualified Teacher Status
- City & Guilds, United Kingdom – Certificate in Learning Support
- National Nursery Education Board, United Kingdom – Diploma in Nursery Education
Hello, I’m Caroline Pattinson and I am from England. I began my career working as a learning support assistant supporting children with special needs in main stream education. I then went to university and gained a BA in Primary Education and started teaching in London, England. Since that time I have worked internationally for over 10 years and I am now very happy to be in South Korea and looking forward to working with the GIFS team.
Matthew Smith – Grade 4 Teacher (email@example.com)
- M.Ed. Educational Leadership – University of North Texas
- M.A. English Language Learning – Western Governor’s University
- B.S. Early Childhood Education & E.S.L. – University of North Texas
- A.A. Applied Music – Temple College
- American Certifications (Texas):
- Principal (K – 12th)
- English as a Second Language (K – 12th)
- Homeroom Teacher (Pre-K – 6th)
- English Reading & Language Arts (4th – 8th)
- Gifted & Talented (K – 12th)
- Special Education (K – 12th)
Mr. Smith originally hails from the great state of Texas but calls Korea his home. He has been fortunate to have worked in American and Korean public, private, and university settings. Mr. Smith absolutely loves his job and wouldn’t have it any other way. He enjoys good coffee and shares an intimate relationship with his kindle. In addition to being a full time father of two feisty girls, Mr. Smith is also a triathlete in whatever spare time is left. He comes from a family of educators and has been blessed with the opportunity to impact the lives of kids from all over.
Len Carnochan – Grade 5 Teacher (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- University of Windsor- Bachelor of Arts- Sociology/Criminology
- University of Wollongong- Graduate Diploma of Education- Primary Education
Mr. Carnochan has been in the education field since 2000. He has taught in Australia, Malaysia and Canada, but has spent the last 15 years teaching in Korea. He has developed a great fondness for the people and culture of Korea in that time. He has been living in Seoul for his time in Korea and is excited by the changes that Sacheon has to offer. He is joined by his wife Haewon and two beautiful daughters Jade and Leah. In his free time he enjoys cycling, hiking, playing ice hockey and reading.
Sridhar Vittal – Secondary Math Teacher (email@example.com)
- Bachelor’s in Mathematics, University of Madras, India
- Diploma in Computer Applications, Annamalai University, India
- Master of Computer Applications, University of Madras, India
I believe that every student has the ability to learn, but each in their own way. I do not subscribe to the one-size-fits-all philosophy. I am very passionate about mathematics because it is just fun. I am so excited to be teaching because it is an absolute joy to see young people learn, grow, and then be transformed into mathematicians. Years ago, as a student of mathematics, I learned well from my mistakes. I own those mistakes, understand those mistakes, and then I re-learn to get mathematical concepts right. If you make mistakes while learning mathematics, you must still be engaged in your learning so you can use your mistakes to learn, succeed, and grow.
I have taught mathematics and ICT in Muscat (Oman), Beijing, Ningbo (China) and Tbilisi (Georgia) besides teaching in India. I am married and have one daughter, Sowmya. When I am not in school, I enjoy spending time with my family. I enjoy playing cricket and tennis. I love chess, too.
Sam Kuntz – Secondary English (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- University of Colorado at Boulder, B.S. Business Administration
- Western State Colorado University, M.A. Education – Teacher Leadership
- Southern New Hampshire University, Current candidate for Masters in English/Creative Writing
- Colorado State Teaching License – Secondary English Language Arts
- TEFL Certification – International TEFL TESOL Training
- IB-DP: Language A and Extended Essay Certification
Hello, my name is Sam Kuntz and I will be teaching English Language Arts classes in the middle school and IGCSE and IB-DP English in the high school. I also assist in the school library and am the IB-DP Extended Essay Coordinator.
Before moving to Sacheon in 2013 with my wife Eunjeong, I taught English Language Learning for five years in the Korean public school system in the southeastern coastal city of Ulsan.
In my spare time, I enjoy reading, writing, watching movies, and riding my bike all over Sacheon.
Kenneth Huber – Secondary Social Studies Teacher (email@example.com)
- B.Ed. in Elementary Eduation from Nipissing University
- B.A. in Russian History form University of Toronto
- Tesol Methodology from University of Toronto
I am Kenneth Huber, the Middle School Social Studies teacher at GIFS. I am originally from Toronto, Canada but I spent most of my life in Niagara Falls. I have a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and History from the University of Toronto. I also have a Bachelor of Education from Nipissing University.
In 2003, after I finished teacher’s college, I moved to Korea and taught at a small academy for one year. It was a great experience so I decided to stay in Korea. Later, I moved to Seoul and worked in the public school system teaching English. Two years ago I moved to Sacheon with my wife and began working at GIFS.
Sergio Carrasquel – Secondary Tech Teacher & Advisor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Teaching, National Experimental University “Rómulo Gallegos”
Sergio Carrasquel comes from a small town in Venezuela. There he developed passion for Computer Science and all computer-related things, and this lead him to study them more in depth in his teenage years. Before teaching at GIFS, he was the Technology and Design Teacher for the Secondary School in Colegio Internacional de Carabobo, an international school in Venezuela. Prior to that, he taught English and ICT in a local school in his hometown. In his spare time he enjoys reading, listening to a wide variety of music, and playing some old school video games.
Jillian Thomas – Secondary English & ELL Teacher (email@example.com)
- Bachelor’s in Language Arts Education from the University of Oklahoma
- Oklahoma State Teaching Certification in Secondary English grades 6-12
- Currently in pursuit of an M.S. degree in Educational Technology and School Library Media Specialist Certification, University of Oklahoma
Hi! I’m a middle school Language Arts teacher from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. I’m quite excited to have traded the Oklahoma plains for the Korean mountains! I have taught 7th grade Language Arts, 8th grade Remedial Reading, and Creative Writing. I’m a passionate and enthusiastic bookworm with a hobby of over-zealously spreading that love of reading to my students! When my nose isn’t stuck in a new book, I love writing creatively, painting, crafting, exploring, and trying new things. I’m currently working as a Mildred Hurst Sumpter scholar and getting an M.S. degree in Ed. Tech and Library Media from Oklahoma State University. I’m hoping to become a school librarian someday, and continue my lifetime-goal of perpetuating lifelong literacy in every student with whom I come in contact!
Peter Woodhouse – Secondary Science Teacher (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- MSc Molecular Electronics from Cranfield Institute of Technology UK
- BSc Chemistry from University of London UK
Sandria Wilson – Secondary Math Teacher (email@example.com)
- Master of Science Major: Educational Leadership, Central Connecticut State University
- Bachelor of Secondary in Education – Mathematics with Education at the University of the West Indies (UWI)
- Diploma in Education Major in Mathematics and Science at Sam Sharpe Teacher’s College
I am from Jamaica and fortunate to have daughter who lives in the United States. I have had over 20 years of teaching experience around the world including my home country of Jamaica, the UAE, Barbados, Trinidad, and the USA. My main task has been to teach mathematical content in subjects like algebra I and II, Pre-calculus, Calculus honors, AP calculus AB, Geometry and Statistics.
While in the Caribbean, I developed curriculum, course outlines, been a test examiner and formulated test questions for the CAPE (Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination) in Pure and Applied Mathematics. I have also been a lecturer at the University of the West Indies in which I taught Calculus I, and Business Economics Examination for Professionals. I am a self-driven, flexible and hardworking person, with an inquisitive mind to explore limitless possibilities.
Patrick Anderson – Secondary Social Studies Teacher (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- B.A. in History with a Minor in Political Science, University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
- Teaching Certificate, Grades 6-12: Northeastern Illinois University
Hi! I’m a high school History teacher from Chicago, Illinois. I’ve taught English in Seoul, South Korea, History in Chicago, Illinois, and Special Education in my hometown of Waukegan, Illinois. I love history, and I love sharing that joy with others. I love to explore the university of the human experience and showing that the problems and successes of hundreds of years ago are the same as those we see today. I am married to my wonderful wife, Claire, who works in the administration at GIFS. I enjoy music, guitars, comic books, and all things geeky and pop culture.
Glen Monaghan – Middle Science & PE (email@example.com)
- Bachelor of Human Kinetics, Honours Movement Science: University of Windsor, Canada
- Bachelor of Education: University of Windsor, Canada
- Master of Education: Framingham State University, Massachusetts, USA
- Licensed by the Ontario College of Teachers:
- Junior and Intermediate Division, Health and Physical Education
- Senior Division, Health and Physical Education
- Senior Division, Science – Biology
Glen Monaghan is a passionate Middle School Science, Math and Physical Education teacher from Windsor, Ontario, Canada. As a “career-teacher” who got his first start teaching swimming lessons at the age of 16, he brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the GIFS faculty. He has been teaching Middle School Science and ESL for the past 8 years in South Korea. He is also a self-proclaimed adventurer who enjoys participating in various outdoor activities including Scuba Diving, Rock Climbing, Swimming and Cycling. He is always trying to instill his love of sport and physical activity into his students, with the hope that they too will enjoy the benefits of a healthy active lifestyle.
Cheryl Bokern – Secondary Spanish (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- University of Wisconsin- Stevens Point, Master of Science in Education – Gifted Education
- University of Wisconsin- Eau Claire, Bachelor of Science – Spanish and Business Administration
- Wisconsin State Teaching License – Secondary Spanish
- English as a Second Language Certification
- IB-DP: Language B Certification
Greetings. I’m Cheri Bokern and I teach the Secondary Spanish classes and I am the garden club advisor. In the U.S. I taught for 18 years before taking an eight year break to work as a mortgage broker. Love of kids brought me back to the classroom and wanderlust took me international. GIFS is my fourth international school. I have also taught in Daejeon (South Korea) and New Delhi (India) and was the academic director in Peña Blanca (Honduras).
When I’m not working I enjoy travelling, philanthropy and gardening. Attending the theatre, concerts and visiting museums are also pastimes that I enjoy. It’s rewarding to share passions with my students and to have them share their interests with me.
Elizabeth McDuffie – ELL Coordinator (email@example.com)
- MAT TESOL (Master of the Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of other Languages), American University, Washington, D.C.
- National Board Certification in English as a New Language
- Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Elizabeth McDuffie began teaching English as Second Language while studying abroad in Costa Rica. Upon returning to the United States, she began teaching adult literacy and GED classes followed by first grade in the Philadelphia Public School System. Elizabeth was then accepted into the Washington D.C. Teaching Fellows Program where she pursued her MAT TESOL and taught ESL to Middle School and Elementary students. She then moved to Raleigh, North Carolina, where she taught ESL in both High and Elementary schools, as well as in the Summer Institute in English at NC State University. Elizabeth is very pleased to work with all grade levels at GIFS!
Becky Kim – ELL & Korean Lang and Culture Teacher (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Pusan National University – Master in English Education
- Teaching License – Secondary English – Ministry of Education, Korea
- Korean as a Second Language, Level 2 – Ministry of Education, Korea
Hello, I am Becky Kim and I teach secondary Korean classes and IB-DP Korean in the high school. I am very excited to contribute to the students’ development and collaborate with fellow faculty at GIFS. I continuously develop my professionalism to meet all students’ learning needs and help them achieve their maximum potential scholastically and socially. I do this by providing challenging and innovative activities and designing an effective meaningful learning environment. I enjoy fitness activities, traveling, walking, and I am a huge baseball fan! I enjoy going baseball games to watch and cheer my favorite team, the LG Twins! The most memorable moments in my life were when I climbed to Annapurna Base Camp (not a peak!) after tons of leech bites in Nepal, and when I swam with a turtle family in the Perhentian Islands in Malaysia!
Catherine Lee – Instrumental and Vocal Music Teacher (email@example.com)
- B.A. and B.Ed. University of British Columbia in General Music & Piano, and Secondary Music
- Certified teacher in Canada
This is my tenth year teaching at GIFS and I have been here since the opening of our school! While here I have taught elementary music and secondary instruction in both instrumental and vocal music. I also direct the afterschool music instruction program. Before I came here, I taught piano for five years and also played the piano for my church choir and service for ten years in Canada.
I am a local representative for the ABRSM (Royal Schools of Music – International Music Certificate Program) and have taught students with the ABRSM program.
My favorite thing about teaching is seeing my students learning and developing their skills, enjoying music, and jamming. I am very proud of and love to see my students in performance. For the past few years, GIFS music students have participated in the SKAC Fine Arts Festival in Jeonju at Global Prodigy Academy.
Peter Lynch – Athletic Director / PE Teacher (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- B.A. in social studies majoring in Psychology, Political Studies and Anthropology at the University of Port Elizabeth
- Post Graduate Certificate of Education in Business Studies, Life Orientation and Counselling at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
- South African Council for Educators registered
Mr Lynch has taught in one of South Africa’s top private schools, where he has been a grade head/advisor, taught Mathematical Literacy, Business Studies, Life Orientation, which includes PE and PSHE, and fulfilled a counselling role.
He is an active competitive athlete, having competed in, and obtaining his Eastern Cape Provincial Colours in Modern Pentathlon (swimming, running, shooting, fencing and show jumping), Biathle (continuous run/swim/run) and Triathle (continuous shot/swim/run).
He is looking forward to his time at GIFS and in Korea.
Ji Hye Joo – Visual Arts Teacher (email@example.com)
- B.A. in Arts from Dong-A University
- 2010 – Received “Special Prize” in Busan Industry Design Contest
- IB DP Visual Arts Category 1 and 2 Certification
I have been the art teacher K-12 at GIFS for the past two years. In 2008, I taught art in Gyeongnam High School of Art and at a private academy for kindergarten and elementary students. From 2007 to 2011, I taught water painting and drawing in a private academy for middle school and high school students. For the past two years, I have worked with Ms. Catherine Lee to promote GIFS students participation in the SKAC Fine Arts Festival. I also teach the afterschool arts classes to elementary students. I really like children and teaching art because it is a very exciting, creative, and fun activity. I want to work very hard to develop the GIFS Arts program. I also enjoy the positive contact I have with my students.
EJ Lee Kuntz – Librarian (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Yeungnam University – B.A. in English Language and Literature
- Jinju National University of Education Continuing Education – Teaching Korean to Foreigners Certification Course
- Limerick Language Center in Ireland – English Language Course
- University of South Florida – English Language Course
- Cambridge First Certificate in English
- Korean Tourism Organization – Certified English Interpreter and Tour Guide
EJ Lee Kuntz is glad to be teaching Korean Language and Culture and working in the library at GIFS. She grew up in the great city of Daegu, but also spent several years abroad learning and traveling. During university, she spent two years in Ireland mastering her English and then subsequently traveled Europe where she made many friends from diverse cultures and backgrounds. Before joining GIFS, EJ worked for over two years in the Daegu Tourism Association before three years of teaching English in Korean public schools in Ulsan. She most recently spent three years working in the nearby Sacheon Children’s English Library. She is excited to be a part of the GIFS family!