Head of Elementary (Lead Teacher)/PYP Coordinator
Qualifications and Expectations
Gyeongnam International Foreign School (GIFS), is located in Sacheon, a small town near Jinju in Gyeongsangnam-do South Korea, is looking for qualified and certified elementary teacher to be Head of Elementary (Lead Teacher) and PYP Coordinator who can start to teach and help with the transition from our current Head of Elementary and PYP Coordinator from January 2020.
We are moving in the direction of adopting the IB PYP programme and would like a dynamic candidate to join our team to help make this happen successfully.
Gyeongnam International Foreign School (GIFS) is a small but diverse co-ed PreK-12 educational institution catering to ex-pats who have moved to South Korea for work. We pride ourselves on delivering a quality educational experience both in class and through our extra-curricular activities.
Experience and Expectations:
- A dynamic and enthusiastic personality to drive our elementary program
- IB PYP experience required
- Leadership experience in elementary preferred
- Classroom experience with or ability to understand and implement the American common core standards (PreK to 5)
- Ability to develop, lead, and execute creative learning opportunities based on student needs, interests, and school standards
- Ability to manage student behaviour and maintain school discipline policies
- Cooperate with colleagues and administration to evaluate and enhance curricular programs for academic excellence
- Mentor and support colleagues
- Observe staff members formally and informally to provide feedback for ongoing improvement
- Facilitate regular collaborative planning meetings for elementary staff
- Facilitate educational outings and opportunities for all elementary students
- Attend all school-wide functions with occasional public speaking responsibilities
- Work closely with the GIFS PTO as the elementary representative
- Support the school Principal as needed
- As a small school, any additional teaching credentials are a plus (Computers, ESL etc.)
- Liaison between parents and teachers as and when required
- Ensure that elementary staff members are meeting reporting timelines, posting academic plans, and communicating with families regularly
- Review reporting documents for elementary students quarterly and assist with timely distribution to families
- Communicate details of school-wide events with elementary families
- The opportunity to be part of a growing and developing school.
- A genuinely international student body and small, focused counselling opportunities.
- A friendly close-knit, dedicated and hard-working team.
- A clean natural environment that has excellent opportunities for nature lovers.
Benefits & Taxes
- Airfare allowance
- Shipping relocation allowance
- Settling-in allowance
- Severance pay-out
- Housing: Spacious furnished apartment that is comfortable and conveniently situated
- Insurance: Local health insurance plan via the Korean National Health Plan will be co-shared
- Lunch programme: The employer shall provide a school lunch on any regular school day or any staff designated workday
- Paid vacation (Fall, Winter, Spring Break, and Holidays): Vacations are determined per the official school calendar
- School-sponsored professional development
- Income tax will be deducted at the standard national rate
Documents and materials required:
- Scanned transcripts (for our files, originals are no longer needed)
- Resume (with a recent photo) and Cover letter, explaining your goals and motivations for teaching in Korea
- One copy of university diploma
- For Canadians, notarized by a notary public and certified by Korean consulate.
- For others, the diploma needs to be notarized and apostilled.
- A scan/copy is fine for the initial application.
- Please note that the Korean Ministry of Education may require an original diploma to be presented after arrival.
- Copy of inside passport page with name, photo, date of birth, and nationality clearly shown.
- Two letters of recommendation, written by former employers, with contact information for checking references.
- Copy of teacher certification and or other relevant certifications.
- Applicant’s Health Statement (after offer of employment is made, please note that drug tests have been fully reinstated by Korean immigration)
- A criminal record check certificate. Again, scan is fine for initial application.
- To accept the position at GIFS, a criminal record certificate must be prepared in advance. Please note Federal checks are now required (not state or local municipality).
- All documents can be submitted through the mail or email.
The initial documents that must be submitted are the resume and cover letter. We recommend you start collecting the other documents as well, as the collection process can be time-consuming.
It is also essential for you to be up to date on the latest Korean employment and immigration rules and regulations. Therefore, we strongly advise you to please contact your nearest Korean consulate to confirm any recent changes.