YEARBOOK: Principals Message
Dear GIFS Students, Families, Teachers, and Staff,
What a school year we have had!
This school year, 2019-2020, started with a great deal of enthusiasm and excitement. We had good student enrollment numbers and a dedicated and professional staff ready for the challenges ahead to inspire excellence in all areas among our international community of learners.
I do not think any one of our community would have foreseen the challenges that we were about to face. The unfolding COVID-19 outbreak in December, which lead to a global pandemic would have an effect which would be felt by all people and communities. The above reminded me of Queen Elizabeth’s 1992 to speech in which she referred to that year being an “annus horribilis,” which is a Latin phrase meaning horrible year. This year has seen a period of unprecedented change impacting every aspect of people’s lives that a year ago would have been unimaginable.
However, let us not dwell on the past, in this case, COVID-19. Instead, let us reflect on and celebrate what all we have achieved this school year despite the challenges which we have faced. Here are just a few key highlights and achievements this year:
- The successful implementation of our online learning programme to minimize the loss of student and teacher contact time.
- Continued development and strengthening of our academic programme and curriculum at GIFS.
- The adoption and implementation of instruction that is aligned to the framework of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme (PYP) and Middle Years Programme (MYP).
- Our successful candidacy approval for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme (PYP) and Middle Years Programme (MYP).
- The ongoing professional development of our staff in line with the International Baccalaureate programmes.
- The successful PTO events over the first half of the school year and engagement with all our GIFS Tiger community.
- The PTO air purifier project in conjunction with Mr. Ha’s support which has resulted in us having the benefit of air purifiers in our classrooms. Thank you!
- A new school bus for our students.
- SKAC Spelling Bee champion for the fourth year in a row! Well done Joshua Manoj Mathew for this year’s success.
- Additional academic and learning resources secured for next school year.
- The successful hiring of additional teachers for the next school year to enhance our IB programme delivery.
- Our first graduation with students who have been with us at GIFS from Kindergarten through to Grade 12. Congratulations Joice Park and Isaac Huang!
- Resilience and Grit: the levels of resilience and grit displayed by our students, parents, teachers, and staff have been an achievement to be proud of. And without these attributes, many of the above points would not have been possible. Thank you!
In my 2017-2018 principals’ message, I had stated my intention to build confidence and excellence at GIFS. And, this has been the core vision which has guided me over the past two years at GIFS. I am very proud of all our achievements and hard work, and the resilience and grit shown by all our GIFS Tiger community members.
I look forward to all of us continuing to build confidence and excellence at our school, GIFS.
In parting, I would like to express my best wishes to all our departing families and teachers. You will be missed, and I wish you success in your future endeavours.